IoT Based Distribution Transformer Monitoring System | PPT | Code | Report
Table of Contents
- 1 IoT Based Distribution Transformer Monitoring System | PPT | Code | Report
- 1.1 Project Abstract
- 1.2 Why its important to develop IoT Based Transformer Monitoring System?
- 1.3 Reference Papers and Link
- 1.4 Block Diagram
- 1.5 Hardware component you need to design real time transformer health monitoring system using IoT
- 1.6 ADVANTAGES
- 1.7 Application
- 1.8 Arduino Code
The main objective of this project is to design and devlope Transformer Monitoring System using Arduino and Real time IoT platform connected using GSM module.
To maintain the reliability in grid operation it is important to monitor real time transformer health. We know the importance of transformers in electricity distribution and transmission. They are the main components and constitute the large portion of capital investment of the distribution grid. Real time transformer health monitoring systems help to replace the equipment before failure and continuity of the power will not be disturbed.
Why its important to develop IoT Based Transformer Monitoring System?
To understand this we need to find the drawbacks of the conventional transformer monitoring system and the biggest problem in the electricity distribution grid.
- Most of the distribution transformer are remotely located in a rural area, where regular monitoring by human observation is difficult to perform due to insufficient manpower.
- Our existing monitoring systems are not supported for real time operations. There is to many transformer failure cases are detected every day.
- Not allowed for planning operation downtime.
- Coventional system Don’t have nay internal fault testing [incipient fault monitoring]
To overcome the above drawbacks we need a smart and reliable solution to monitor the distribution transformer parameter and send it to the IoT platforms in real time. It enables the grid operator to define the performance of the unit. It also provides important information about transformer health. IoT Based Transformer Monitoring System will allow the utilities to optimally run the transformer and keep this equipment in operation for a longer period.
The important parameter we needs to monitor
- Transformer Temperature
- Oil Level
- Oil Quality
- Current level
- Voltage level
- KVA and Power Factor
- Incipient fault monitoring
- Flux based interturn fault destection
- Overcurrent Protection alert and Protection
- Overvoltage protection alert and Protection
- Temprature Control [stage 1 :Fan on | Stage 2 : Disconnection]
- Oil Quality monitoring using optical sensor
- Kva and power factor alert
- Oil level monitoring using ultrasonic sensor
Keywords: Transformer health monitoring using IoT, Real Time, Arduino.
Reference Papers and Link
- Distribution transformer monitoring system using Internet of Things (IoT) [IEEE 2017]
- Design and Implementation Smart Transformer based on IoT [IEEE 2019]
- Transformer Health Monitoring System Using Internet of Thing [IEEE 2018]
- Fault analysis of oil-filled power transformers using spectroscopy techniques [IEEE 2017]
- A smart IoT based system for monitoring and controlling the sub-station equipment [ScienceDirect 2019]
- A New Leakage Flux Based Technique for Turnto Turn Fault Protection and Faulty Region Identification in Transformers [IEEE 2018]
[ Note : use 5th or 6th paper title to while submitting in college, This title looks heavy and new. Easily accepted by your project guide ]
Block diagram of IoT Based Transformer Monitoring SystemUsing Arduino will represent the complete visual representation to understand the project concept.
Undustand the Proposed System
The Proposed monitoring system based on IoT consists of three main systems:
- Parameter measurement subsystem
- Protection Subsystem
- Data reception subsystem.
Firstly, transformer electrical and physical parameters are measured by using the Parameter measurement subsystem. Electrical parameter consist of intarnal flux, voltage, current, KVA, Frequency and power factor and in physical parameter we included temperature, oil level, oil quality and humidity.
To measure the above parameter we need different sensors and modules to interface with the Arduino microcontroller. A list of the component is provided in the next section.
In the protection subsystem, Arduino controls the operation of a fan and protection relay to protect the transformer in a fault condition.
The current state and measured parameters are sent to the remote IoT server by using the data reception subsystem. We have two IoT platforms are avilable to use for testing first is thingspeak and Ubidot stem.
By using the IoT and Arduino monitoring and protection algorithum, a smart self-protection system is designed for the transformer. Where, if any major fault(overvloatage, overvolatge, inturnturn, stage 2 temprature etc.) detected in transformer monitoring system transformer is imadiatally shut down. If transformer is not serviced in low oil quality, low oil level, the system will send alert
Optional feature: The Protection system will separate loads on the basis of priority in case of minor fault in transformer. Disconnect the less important load (workshops, residence etc ) and it will keep loads of high importance (hospitals, substations etc.). If the transformer available rating is unable to run loads of high importance, in this case system will separates all loads and stay in the no-load status where the monitoring system monitor its parameters by itself, if all major parameters of the transformer return to the normal level, the monitoring system automatically reconnect the loads in priority order.
Hardware component you need to design real time transformer health monitoring system using IoT
AC Power measurment Module
Our project required monitoring of different electrical parameter. All the parameter are measure using this module.
- AC Voltage
- AC Current Measurement
- Power measurment
- Frequency mesurment
- Power Factor measurment
To process the measured value
GSM Module SIM800C
SIM800C supports GPRS class 12 with max. 85.6 kbps (downlink/uplink) speed which is enough bandwidth for our real time transformer health monitoring system using iot projects. SIM800C gsm module is best choice for this projects as we are planning to monitor remotely located distribution transformer. Wifi module is best suatable for short-range where wifi router is available.
Some key featurs of SIM800C Module
- Control via AT commands
- Easy to Use
- Low power consumption
- Easily Available
- Low Cost
LCD Module 16×2 or 20×4
To show the measured parameters we are using LCD module. the following parameter are show on lcd screen
- Power (Real time power)
- Energy consumption
- Power Factor
- Energy Bill
For Protection, control the on-off opration of transformer and disconnection from grid we need relay board.
To run the control board and sensorwe need at list 5v 1.5A DC.
- Step down Transformer
- filter capacitor
- Voltage regulator
- Detect of the faults in real time base on current, voltage, temperature and internal flux.
- Increase system reliability and stability by the monitoring system.
- The system prevents faults and losses of the power supply which significantly benefits utility consumers
- Overcurrent, overtemperature are prevented using this technique.
- Distribution transformer monitoring
- Smart Grid
- Power Trasformer Monitoring
Get the complete step by step Arduino project code. Project code is divided into multiple stages to undustand its working and algorithm
- LCD Interfacing
- Testing Relay Board
- Temprature Measurement
- Humidity Measurement
- Oil quality Measurement
- flus sensor Interfacing
- AC power Measurment module arduino interfacing and Display data on LCD
- Overvoltage Undervoltage Protection code
- Arduino and GMS module Interfacing
- Internet Testing
- Send Random Data to IoT dashboard [ubidot] [Thingspeak]
- Final Code with all features
This is a best final year projects you can make for diploma and Degree in electrical engineering. the complete projects budget is less than 7000 for hardware component. We tried to provide you as much possible diy data in comming days. We get lots of students requirements on this project about its DIY guides, project report, ppt, Arduino code, abstract, circuit diagram and readymade hardware.
To complete this requirement of students, me and my team make a complete project package for you. We spend hours of time and do multiple testing to create complete project package. We’ve combined audio explanations and presentations, reports, arduino code and videos to make it extremely simple to understand. Therefore you’ll get the best of knowledge as well as a project!
Readymade hardware take at list 15-20 working days to deliver at your location in India.
Let me know if you have any questions on this projects in comment section