IOT Based Energy Meter Reading Using Arduino
Table of Contents
- 1 IOT Based Energy Meter Reading Using Arduino
- 1.1 Project Abstract
- 1.2 Why its important to develop IoT based Energy Meter?
- 1.3 Block Diagram
- 1.4 What component you needs to design IoT Based Energy Meter Using Arduino?
- 1.5 Application
- 1.6 Arduino Code
- 1.7 Final thought on IOT Based Energy Meter Reading Using Arduino
The main aim of this DIY project is to design and develop IOT Based Energy Meter Reading Using Arduino.
Electricity is one of the basic needs of humans, Its commonly used for domestic, industrial and agricultural purposes in day to day’s life.
Most of us know the role of energy meter in electricity grid. Its an fundamental component of distribution grid. Energy meter helps the utility (Electricity distribution company) to account the uses of electricity by consumer on kw per hour basis.
Why its important to develop IoT based Energy Meter?
To understand this we need to find the drawbacks of current energy meter and biggest problem in electricity metering.
- The biggest problem in electricity distribution is collecting meter reading data. right now meter reading is collected manually which give scope for corruption and human error in reading. It also the wastage of manpower and resources of utility.
- Our existing electricity meter are not a temper proof. Their is to many temper cases are detected.
- No under voltage and Over voltage Protection in existing meter.
- No over power use alert system. due to this, utility unable to collect fine for max demand cross.
- Power theft is the biggest problem in recent days which causes lot of loss to electricity boards.
to overcome this drawbacks we are going to develop IoT based Smart Energy Meter (SEM).
The Main features of IoT based Energy Meter must have
- AMR (Automatic Meter Reading)
- Meter Tampering Detection
- Overpower Alarm
- Overvoltage Protection
- Overcurrent Protection
- Remote Disconnection and Reconnection
Keywords: smart energy meter using IoT IOT, Energy Meter, Arduino.
Block diagram of IoT Based Energy Meter Reading Using Arduino will show you the complete visual block representation to understand the project idea.
Undustand the Proposed System
The existing reading system is a time consuming and it needs a numbers of labor to. The proposed projet will eliminate the need for labor and it is a cost efficient. The proposed system gives the information about the energy consumption on real time on IoT dashboard on mobile application and PC, billing through IoT, This smart energy meter protect your home from bad supply, alert the consumer and utility when the energy consumption exceeds above the set limit and the disconnection and reconnection of power through a mobile application when the residential are out of station to prevent the wastage of energy.
What component you needs to design IoT Based Energy Meter Using Arduino?
PZEM-004T V3 Energy meter Module
Our project required measurements for metering and billing with high fidelity. Some of the special features of PZEM-004T V3 module make it first choice for this
- Overload detectionfunction
- AC Voltage with a range of 80 ~ 260VAC which cover major country voltage range like 110V and 230V and
- AC Current Measurement 0 ~ 100A current measurement capability.
- Power measurment range is 0 ~ 22kW and
- Energy range 0 ~ 9999kWh.
- Frequency mesurment
- Power Factor measurment
We need two UART ports, one for GSM module and second for Energy meter module, also Arduino mega has a higher RAM of 8K, which we need for processing the program variables.
GSM Module SIM800C
SIM800C supports GPRS class 12 with max. 85.6 kbps (downlink/uplink) speed which is enough bandwidth for our smart energy meter projects. SIM800C have
- Low power consumption
- Control via AT commands
- Embedded TCP/UDP protocol
- Support TTL Coomunications
LCD Module 16×2 or 20×4
To show the measured parameters we are using LCD module. the following parameter are show on lcd screen
- Power (Real time power)
- Energy consumption
- Power Factor
- Energy Bill
For remote connection, disconnection and protection purpose we need to dissconnect the power from grid, for this we are using relay board.
To run the projects we need supply of 5v 1A DC. we have avilable power of 230V AC/110V ac we need to convert it into 5V DC. Main component of power supply are
- Step down Transformer
- filter capacitor
- Voltage regulator
- This system shows the energy consumed on a daily basis, hence it helps to reduce the consumption by comparing the daily usages.
- It reduces the human interference to collect the monthly reading and it also saves time and money.
- The pre-announced shutdown details help to take necessary preventive measures and also helps to charge the essential equipment.
- The alarm system helps to create awareness to the public regarding their energy consumption and the corresponding charges.
- It prevents the wastage of energy by disconnecting the power remotely when the residents are out of station.
- The LCD display, situated in the distribution board helps the residents in the apartments to be aware of the messages in the LCD display since they are far away from the energy meter.
- Portable Energy and Power Meters
- Grid Monitoring
- Smart Energy Meters
- Smart Plug
Get the complete step by step arduino project code. Project code is divided in multiple stages to undustand its working and alorithum
- LCD Interfacing
- Testing Relay Board
- PZEM-004T Interfacing and Display data on LCD
- Overvoltage Undervoltage Protection code
- Arduino and GMS module Interfacing
- GPRS Based Relay On off
- Internet Testing
- Send Random Data to IoT dashboard [ubidot]
- Read Data from IoT dashboard [ubidot]
- Final Code with all features
Final thought on IOT Based Energy Meter Reading Using Arduino
This project is really simple one and with small practice anyone can do this. then why are you spending 10000-15000 on the readymade project? We get lots of inquiries from students on this project about its DIY guides, project report, ppt, Arduino code, abstract, circuit diagram and readymade hardware. Almost every weak I get at list 2 phone calls for the above documentation and project.
To complete this requirement of students my team make complete project guide for you. we spend hours of time to create complete most simple DIY project guides. we’ve combined audio explanations and presentations and videos to make it extremely simple to understand. Therefore you’ll get the best of knowledge as well as a project!