Electricity is one of the basic needs of humans, Its commonly used for domestic, industrial and agricultural purposes in day to day’s life.
Most of us know the role of energy meter in electricity grid. Its an fundamental component of distribution grid. Energy meter helps the utility (Electricity distribution company) to account the uses of electricity by consumer on kw per hour basis.
Why its important to develop IoT based Energy Meter?
To understand this we need to find the drawbacks of current energy meter and biggest problem in electricity metering.
- The biggest problem in electricity distribution is collecting meter reading data. right now meter reading is collected manually which give scope for corruption and human error in reading. It also the wastage of manpower and resources of utility.
- Our existing electricity meter are not a temper proof. Their is to many temper cases are detected.
- No under voltage and Over voltage Protection in existing meter.
- No over power use alert system. due to this, utility unable to collect fine for max demand cross.
- Power theft is the biggest problem in recent days which causes lot of loss to electricity boards.
to overcome this drawbacks we are going to develop IoT based Smart Energy Meter (SEM).
The Main features of IoT based Energy Meter must have
- AMR (Automatic Meter Reading)
- Meter Tampering Detection
- Overpower Alarm
- Overvoltage Protection
- Overcurrent Protection
- Remote Disconnection and Reconnection
Keywords: smart energy meter using IoT IOT, Energy Meter, Arduino.